School Board Recognized for service in January
Monticello School District joins districts across the state to celebrate School Board Member Recognition Month in January. More than 1500 Arkansas school board members are being honored for their service and dedication to public education.
“Our board members assume a crucial role in representing our students and advocating for public education,” said Mrs. Sandra Lanehart. “We are very proud of our members, and Arkansas School Board Recognition Month is a great time to recognize them and celebrate their accomplishments.”
The members serving on the MONTICELLO SCHOOL BOARD are:
- • Mr. Thomas W. Maxwell-3 year of service
- • Mr. Keith Wells, Vice President-10 years of service
- • Mr. John McClendon-6 years of service
- • Mr. Curt Preston, President 9 years of service
- • Dr. Michael Fakouri- 8 years of service
Monticello is proud to announce that two of its board members were recognized by the Arkansas School Board Association for outstanding Boardsmanship:
• Mr. Keith Wells was awarded the Pinnacle Award for achieving 200 professional development hours, and Mr. Curt Present was awarded the Master Board Member Award for achieving at least 50 hours of professional development.
As publicly elected school leaders, Arkansas school board members set policy for their respective districts. Under state law, they are empowered to hire and evaluate the superintendent, oversee district finances, approve the budget and determine the vision and mission of the district. School boards must also approve the curriculum and ensure the district maintains adequate facilities for teaching and learning.
In addition to their board duties, state law requires Arkansas school board members to earn a minimum of six hours of professional development each year in areas related to their role and responsibilities.
On behalf of the educators and students of this District, we wish to honor these five men for their devotion and care and concern for each student in the Monticello School District. We appreciate their dedication to the District as they tirelessly work to produce the best education for the children of this District.