Special Enrollment Periods for Marketplace Health Insurance Plans
Arkansas Insurance Commissioner Alan McClain today released the following statement reminding Arkansans who may have recently lost job-based health insurance that they are eligible for a Special Enrollment Period to enroll in a Health Marketplace qualifying health plan (QHP):
“The loss of job-based insurance is considered a ‘qualifying life event’ under the Affordable Care Act and triggers a special enrollment period for a Marketplace plan. The Arkansas Insurance Department has a toll-free number available for Arkansans eligible for special enrollment where licensed Navigators can provide assistance.”
The Arkansas Health Insurance Marketplace (AHIM) toll-free number is 844-355-3262.
Act 107 of 2019 disbanded AHIM as a private entity and placed it under the Arkansas Insurance Department. Arkansans can learn more about QHPs offered on the Marketplace by visiting http://myarinsurance.com.
Qualifying Life Events that can qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period
Loss of qualifying health insurance in last 60 days OR expects to lose in next 60 days, including:
- Losing job-based coverage;
- Losing individual health coverage for a plan or policy you bought yourself;
- Losing eligibility for Medicaid or CHIP;
- Losing eligibility for Medicare; or
- Losing coverage through a family member.
Changes in household if you or anyone in your household in the past 60 days:
- Got married;
- Had a baby, adopted a child, or placed a child for foster care; or
- Got divorced or legally separated and lost health insurance.
Changes in residence if you had qualifying coverage in 60 days before:
- Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county;
- Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country or United States territory;
- If you're a student, moving to or from the place you attend school;
- If you're a seasonal worker, moving to or from the place you both live and work; or
- Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing.